Thursday, March 31, 2011

SAILORS HAVE MORE FUN....when young!!!

One vivid memory I have of leaving for a West Pac deployment in 1968 aboard USS RANGER was sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge...we departed homeport San Francisco on a bright sunny day....the view was unlimited. Upon our return 11 months later, the overcast was heavy and gloomy - as we sailed under the bridge, nothing was in view due to a heavy fog cover, all that could be heard was the sounds of car horns blowing with a welcome home - I knew that America was still there, but what kind of America was I coming home to; much had changed in 1968-69. The sun cleared the sky as USS RANGER steamed into port, tied up, and the crowd was absolutely wonderful....I knew I was finally home, greeted by smiling faces, beautiful girls, blaring bands, and hot dogs with beer on the pier. America, you never forget her.
Thanks for rekindling a long forgotten memory...
NAVYBEAR

No comments:

Post a Comment