Thursday, May 14, 2009

HONORING BR. RICHARD RUSH


Recalling Br. J. Richard Rush
From a letter from Bob Hastings ’57 to his classmates


Speaking kindly of Brother Richard, let me share a story with you...I was long-retired from a 30-year Navy career… In April, 1996 (just prior to his death), he called to let me know that he would not be attending the Class of 1957 40th Reunion in the following June. Needless to say, I was shocked [that he called ME] because Brother Richard and I did not always see eye to eye on some things during my school/youthful days at St. Mel HS. He explained that he was terminal with an ailing heart condition, and in his last days wanted me to bring to the class reunion a message. Here I was a grown man, served in two wars...and suddenly, I reverted to that young man who feared, but deeply respected Brother Richard, the 'silent ghost' who crept about the halls. But his message was so profound, and touched my heart. He told me to tell the Class of 1957, and all St. Mel students, whenever we gathered that he loved his students, wanted only the best for each of them, and his intentions were to prepare us for life in the world. He purposely made times tough on us as young men so that when we became men we would not fail...many of us would go on to make enormous decisions, some life saving, when all alone, so he tried to prepare us for the once-in-a-lifetime moment. I tried to speak, but the words caught up in my throat when he said, "Robert, I always knew you had a good heart, and a brave soul...you did well in life."… I felt at last I really understood what Brother Richard was all about....he sincerely loved his St. Mel guys, and continued to pray for us until his dying day...Always speak kindly of Brother Richard, tell the story, but remember the ending. As I prepare to attend my 50th class reunion in June, 2007...in a way, Brother Richard will be there with us, as he has been at each class reunion watching over us, silently guiding our ways with love, prayer, and a hope we all have a good life. Thanks guys for letting me tell Brother Richard's story, and passing his message along to all MELMEN.
Sincerely,
Bob Hastings, Class of 1957
Retired Naval Officer, US Navy
Email: NAVYBEAR@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment