Monday, May 25, 2009

CLASSMATES REMEMBERED - Best Stories Shared

JUSTIN CHENELLE sent a great story out to his classmates, we hope to share it with the Class of 1957...enjoy.

Hello All:

Had an unusual experience yesterday that I thought I would share with you gentlemen. I have a small part time job at a local museum. Those of you who still know the west suburban Chicago area may have heard of or visited the Graue Mill. It's a museum occupying a 19th century mill building.

A few days a month I work there as one of the "millers". I do presentations on the mill, the local history and demonstrate the grinding mill that is still operational. I was working there yesterday and, being a little slow at the time, was doing my lecture to just two people, a married couple that seemed to be around my age. They seemed quite interested and as I often do on such occasions when that happens I added a lot of material and historical detail that I don't always do. Thought I went a little long so at the end I began to apologize for taking up so much of their time.

The gentleman, however, was very gracious and a conversation something like this followed:

HIM: We really enjoyed your presentation. There's a lot of history related to this area and it's fascinating. By the way, what part of Chicago do you come from?

ME: I grew up on the West side around Madison and Pulaski.

HIM: Oh? I know that area well. I went to high school there.

ME: What school did you go to?

HIM: St Mel.

ME: Really? So did I. I was in the class of 1957.

HIM: So was I.

ME: You're kidding! What's your name?

HIM: Joe Mortell.

What a unique coincidence! I remembered his name, though didn't recognize him until he identified himself.

After he had left and I had time to think a bit I recalled him clearly. Bright young (weren't we all!) athletic kid. Remember watching him play intramural basketball. Had some great (didn't we call them "fakeout") moves? Maybe some of you remember him too. Most of you who have attended recent reunions have had the same experience I'm sure, trying to recognize someone you remember as a 17 year old who is now a senior type. Anyway, he lives in the Mt. Prospect area and said he spends a lot of his time playing golf.

Thought you might enjoy my sharing this with you.

Justin Chenelle

No comments:

Post a Comment